Pages

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Winter Learning Journey Day 2 Activity 1

I went to Rangitoto, Karekare Beach and also Tane Mahuta. 

I went to Rangitoto which is a nature reserve and the largest volcanoe in New Zealand. The best thing that I did there was "twitching" aka bird watching.  I saw Tui's, Kea's, Weka's and the awesome Morepork owls. 

After Rangitoto I journeyed to Karekare Beach which is where they filmed the iconic 1993 film "The Piano". After a nice swim in the clear waters, I took off and headed over to the oldest kauri tree in New Zealand, Tane Mahuta. 

Tane Mahuta is a giant kauri tree and is estimated to be between 1250 and 2500 years old.  Here in the Waipoua Forrest I did the 166m hike to the 'Lord of the Forest' along the track which was really fun.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Harrison!

I didn't know "twitching" meant bird watching, how cool! I went with some friends to Muriwai Beach in the summer to do some "twitching"... Did you know there are Gannet Colony's that live there? They are so interesting to watch as they do their thing! Apparently they are there from August to March each year, you should check it out if you can!

Which of the three places did you enjoy visiting the most??

Nicky :)

Unknown said...

Hello Nicky

Probably Tane Mahuta
Thankyou for all of your positive comments.

Unknown said...

Hey Harrison,

Very cool! I'd love to visit Tane Mahuta some time.

My pleasure - you have a done a really good job with all your activities!

Nicky

Unknown said...

...and Otago Rail Track.

Unknown said...

...but most of all Eden Park; Lions v All Blacks - Final Test!

Unknown said...

Hi Harrison,

I actually never knew that "twitching" ment bird watch. I was super surprised, but back to your work, I love the way that you brought out so many facts for us. keep it up!

jolie said...

Kia Ora Harrison

Lovely work! today I learnt a new work and that word is "twitching." I never actually knew that it meant bird watching. See you in term 3 and have a great holiday :)

daniel said...

Hi Harrison
I reckon all of those places are amazing in there own, special way. I had no idea that twitching was also know as bird watching. Keep up the good work.
Daniel

Post a Comment